Saturday, December 18, 2010

Today's Special: Egg Nog Oatmeal


Source::http://nutritionella.com/2010/12/14/eggnog-oatmeal/?tpref=foodpress

When I woke up this morning it was 16 degrees in Chapel Hill!  I wanted a warm breakfast before heading off to work and had an ingenious idea: egg nog oatmeal! With the holidays right around the corner, last weekend I picked up some light eggnog made with reduced-fat milk, no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. (Thank you Trader Joe’s!)

IMG_1918

Here’s  what I combined:

¼ C low-fat milk ¼ C light egg nog½ C old-fashioned oats

IMG_1919

Old-fashioned oats take a bit longer to cook.  I microwaved for 4 minutes on medium heat, stirred well, & let it sit for 2 more minutes to soak up all of the good egg nog flavor.

I topped it off with a fist-full of raisins, half of a sliced banana and a couple shakes of cinnamonThis  breakfast is a good source of fiber, protein, calcium & even includes a serving of fruit!

IMG_1922

It was delicious. I highly recommend it if you like a slightly sweet oatmeal.

Last night I met a friend at Spice Street in Chapel Hill. Picture a lavishly cozy restaurant with a lounge-feel to it. spicedI’m a sucker for atmosphere and I can say that this place has it right! Here’s a picture from their website. The menu is a refreshingly unique fusion of Asian & Mediterranean dishesOur server recommended the Seafood Risotto… so I went with that. It had shrimp, lobster, scallops & chorizo served over saffron risotto. Heavy, yes, but so delicious! I saved some for lunch today.

IMG_1926

My evening tonight is a bit less calorically indulgent.  After work, I’m headed to my favorite power yoga class. I recently started going 1-2 times per week and love it because I always leave a little bit stronger, calmer & totally exhausted! 


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment