Friday, December 17, 2010

The divine


Source::http://littlescribe.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/the-divine/

{75/365} PtH Day 13: Divine canvasA couple of days ago, the daily prompt for the e-class Picture the Holidays asked for an image of the divine. I am not religious myself, but the divine is certainly present in my life anyway. I ended up posting the image to the left, of a recent winter sunrise; the fact that dark gives way to light every day without fail is a natural miracle I will always appreciate.

We live right across the road from a church. Every Sunday morning we hear the church bells ring, to summon people to  church and to mark the end of the service. You might think that I would find it an annoyance, nothing but a noise without significance that prevents me from sleeping in on Sundays. Thankfully, that is not true.

In the same way, I am not upset or annoyed by the religious imagery related to Christmas. The birth of a child, the birth of a person with a potential to be absolutely anything – a great author, the one who finds a cure for cancer, my future children’s best friend – is another miracle, worthy of celebration, to remind me that there is something bigger out there, that the world is grand and beautiful and filled with sunrises.

So I treasure the church bells for their promise of the divine.

Bells


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment