Friday, December 17, 2010

European License Plates in America - Los Angeles


Source:http://jaycars.wordpress.com/2010/12/16/european-license-plates-in-america-los-angeles/

bmw-german-license-plate-in-los-angelesWhile aimlessly cruising around Los Angeles’ South Bay area in my new loaner BMW 335 sport package (all in efforts to find unsuspecting marks to street race with my new-found 300hp kill time to beat the rush afternoon traffic from LA to OC ) I came upon this: A beautiful jet black E92 M3 driven by sharp white-haired grandfather and shotgun-sitting 10 year old freckled grandson. A lovely sight, and one I hope to replicate later in life when I have awesome grandkids and retirement funds spent on beautiful and expensive sports cars… But I digress, the coolest part of this threesome was the car, and the German license plates it carried!


Straight out of Germany (Munich to be exact, primer on license plates here), this 2010 BMW M3 sported non other than the standard German Zoll plates with the red stripe (versus the standard European EU blue stripe). Ironically I know less about U.S./California’s DMV license plates regulations than of its European counterpart, but I’m pretty sure that if you import a car here you don’t get to use the country of origin’s cool tags. Pity, because the other way around you can (I’ve seen countless Florida plates while driving in the summertime in Europe).


I desperately hope this guy and his grandson were indeed Germans, fresh to the U.S., and unaware of our pesky and boring DMV laws (or completely ignoring then laws, which I would approve of BTW), instead of being regular Americans intending to show off. It’d be more fun that way, though I myself am guilty of dressing my old BMW in European plates (front and back) for the Annual Bimmerfest, and then leaving them on for daily driving until an officer intervened.  Toll road evasion FTW! Red light cameras, suck it! This gray-haired gentleman didn’t strike me as a show-off or a law evader though, so I think it’s safe to assume they were Germans. Willkommen!


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment